This week on HNR, the Grue-crew fan through Amanda Waller’s files on “the worst of the worst” with their review of David Ayer’s Suicide Squad. The DC Extended Universe delivers its third film which follows the events in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice where many of DC’s villains are gathered together to defeat a new threat out to destroy the Earth. Will Smith as Deadshot and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn lead the cast while Jared Leto’s version of The Joker dances around the edges. Award winning director Christopher G. Moore joins the crew to determine why “Gozer” is involved in the film – dwerp!
DocÂ launches into theÂ Horror News of the WeekÂ discussing a variety of newsÂ whereÂ Breck Eisner may guide Jason’s return, Peter Block is reviving Pumpkinhead and Willem Dafoe joins Adam Wingard’s Death Note.Â Not only are the Grue-crew going to Dragon*Con this year, Doc and Gruesome Magazine writer Paul Cardullo are heading toÂ GenreBlast Film Festival in Culpeper, Virginia this August 19 – 21, 2016 and to Wreak Havoc Film Festival in Greensboro, North Carolina this late September/early October.
Co-hostsÂ Doc Rotten,Â Santos (The Black Saint) Ellin Jr.,Â Dave DreherÂ andÂ Thomas Mariani, the voice of reason, are back again this week to give you the best in horror as they recap, review and obliterate all that is horror this week!Â Oh, and don’t forget – Stump the Saint! (Brought to you by Gruesome Magazine)
Feature Review: Suicide SquadÂ (2016)
DC returns to the big screen with Suicide Squad in another desperate attempt to match Marvel’s success with its cinematic universe. The results are decidedly mixed as the film breaks box office records for August (beating Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy) and the cast make up for a super-flawed script. Margot Robbie and Will Smith succeed in making Harley Quinn and Deadshot fun characters to watch while Viola Davis is ice-cold as Amanda Waller, proving her character is the true villain of the film. Jared Leto’s controversial interpretation of The Joker, while unique and electric, divides fan opinion of his version of the Crown Prince of Crime. Jai Courtney has fun as Captain Cold while Jay Hernandez nearly steals the film as El Diablo. Oh, and yes, Batman is in the film capturing Deadshot and chasing Joker & Harley during the introduction scenes. Fun, frustrating and flawed, Suicide Squad proves to be a heated discussion for the Grue-crew.
OUTLINE OF THIS EPISODE
- [00:00:38] Introduction of the Grue-crew
- [00:02:14] Announcements
- [00:02:32] Genre Blast Film Festival
- [00:03:05] Dragon*Con
- [00:04:43] Wreak Havoc Horror Film Festival
- [00:04:58] Write a Review on iTunes for a Chance to Win Fandango Gift Card
- [00:05:53] Feature Review: Suicide SquadÂ (2016)
- [01:18:21] CONTEST: The Walking Dead Season 6 Blu-ray from Anchor Bay Entertainment
- [01:20:16] Horror News of the Week
- [01:20:28] Friday the 13th rumors are heating up as Breck Eisner may join as director
- [01:26:11] Peter Block (Saw) is ramping up a return to Pumpkinhead
- [01:29:26] Adam Wingard casts his Shinigami in Death Note with Willem Dafoe
- [01:34:35] Stump the Saint
- [01:42:00] Listener Feedback
- [01:58:32] What’s Next:Â The Mind’s Eye