Director Joe (Almost Human) Begos returns with an independent horror opus and love letter to all things David Cronenberg. The film is called The Mind’s Eye and the influence of Scanners, Firestarter and their ilk is readily apparent. The Grue-crew dive into their thoughts about the film and their appreciation for the practical special effects. Thomas steps in with a surprise What Have You Been Watching segment topic, Pete’s Dragon. A childhood Disney favorite gets a modern upgrade, providing Thomas a rare opportunity to praise a remake.
DaveÂ launches into theÂ Horror News of the WeekÂ discussing a variety of newsÂ about Brad Pitt and David Fincher dream team on World War Z 2, Darth Vader returns in the latestÂ Rogue One trailer and the loss of Kenny Baker, R2D2 from Star Wars.Â Not only are the Grue-crew going to Dragon*Con this year, Doc and Gruesome Magazine writer Paul Cardullo are heading toÂ GenreBlast Film Festival in Culpeper, Virginia this August 19 – 21, 2016 and to Wreak Havoc Film Festival in Greensboro, North Carolina this late September/early October.
Co-hostsÂ Doc Rotten,Â Santos (The Black Saint) Ellin Jr.,Â Dave DreherÂ andÂ Thomas Mariani, the voice of reason, are back again this week to give you the best in horror as they recap, review and obliterate all that is horror this week!Â Oh, and don’t forget – Stump the Saint! (Brought to you by Gruesome Magazine)
Feature Review: The Mind’s EyeÂ (2016)
Set in the Nineties, influenced by films from the Eighties the 2016 film The Mind’s Eye revisitsÂ a familiar premiseÂ where psychokinetic powers cause anything from intense nose bleeds to explosive head splatter. The quote on the poster from Film School Rejects says it all, “The best Scanners sequel we never got.” The film is passionately directed by Joe Bego and featuresÂ Graham (Almost Human, Beyond the Gates) Skipper, Lauren Ashley (Jug Face) Carter, John (Darling) Speredakos, Larry Fessenden, Noah (Dead Girl, Some Kind of Hate) Segan and Matt (Contracted) Mercer.
What Have You Been Watching: Pete’s DragonÂ (2016)
What’s this? A Disney film? Yup. Thomas drops in with a review of Pete’s Dragon, a remake of the 1977 live-action/animated fondly remembered film. It is not often Thomas has positive things to share about a remake of any sort, but here his is praising much of what is to be found in the David Lowery directed family film. And he also praises Wes Bentley – it may be the sign of the apocalypse.
OUTLINE OF THIS EPISODE
- [00:00:39] Introduction of the Grue-crew
- [00:01:46] Announcements
- [00:03:30] Genre Blast Film Festival
- [00:04:20] Dragon*Con
- [00:07:38] Wreak Havoc Horror Film Festival
- [00:09:13] Feature Review: The Mind’s EyeÂ (2016)
- [00:36:42] CONTEST: The Walking Dead Season 6 Blu-ray from Anchor Bay Entertainment
- [00:38:04] What Have You Been Watching: Pete’s Dragon (2016)
- [00:49:27] Support HNR w/ Patreon
- [00:49:55] Horror News of the Week
- [00:50:14]Â R.I.P. Kenny Baker (R2-D2, Star Wars)
- [00:53:43]Â Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Rio Olympics Trailer
- [01:00:13]Â Brad Pitt wants David Fincher to direct World War Z 2
- [01:03:23] Arrow announced a slew of new releases: C.H.U.D., Driller Killer and more
- [01:06:56] Tales of Halloween to recieve a 4 disc Blu-ray extravaganza
- [01:10:36] Stump the Saint
- [01:19:10] What’s Next:Â Train to Busan