Podcast: Play in new window | Download
IFC is distributing one of the most surprising and rewarding independent horror features of the year with I AM NOT A SERIAL KILLER. The thoroughly engrossing small but effective film is from directorÂ Billy O’Brien featuring Christopher Lloyd,Â Max Records, and Laura Fraser. The Grue-crew are generally united in their opinion of the film of a young high school kid who may be showing signs of character traits commonly associated with serial killers. When a series of murders plague his small town, the young man investigates who may be behind the killings. And, then, it goes off the rails!
Thomas reviews Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, the latest film from Tim Burton for this week’s edition of What Have You Been Watching. Thomas dives into the complexities of the overwrought story and the lack of originality to all the overactive imagination. Eva Green highlights the cast along with Asa Butterfield and Samual L. Jackson and a large supporting cast of familiar and famous faces.
Dave dives intoÂ theÂ Horror News of the Week with Ash vs the Evil Dead, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tale No Tales and Queer Ghost Hunters. Doc and Gruesome Magazine writer Paul Cardullo attendedÂ Wreak Havoc Film Festival in Greensboro, North Carolina this late September/early October. The Knoxville Horror Film Festival is coming October 21-23, 2016 in Knoxville, TN. Another announcement for the fall is that Horror News Radio will be at Spooky Empire in Orlando, Florida, October 7 – 9, 2016. Oh, boy! Plan your trip now.
Co-hostsÂ Doc Rotten,Â Santos (The Black Saint) Ellin Jr.,Â Dave DreherÂ andÂ Thomas MarianiÂ are back again this week to give you the best in horror as they recap, review and obliterate all that is horror this week!Â Oh, and don’t forget – Stump the Saint! (Brought to you by Gruesome Magazine)
Horror News Radio
Episode 183 —Â I Am Not a Serial KillerÂ (2016)
SubscribeÂ —Â iTunesÂ —Â FacebookÂ —Â Stitcher
Feature Review: I Am Not a Serial KillerÂ (2016)
The surprisingly genre ingrained low budget thriller I Am Not a Serial Killer sneaks into VOD outlets from IFC. The film from director Billy O’Brien is phenomenal, smart film well worth seeking out and devouring at the earliest convenience.Â Max Records stars as John Wayne Cleaver, a young man who is diagnosed as a potential sociopath. While battling his own demons, John follows the trail of a killer that has descended on his small town only to discover surprises that are both fascinating and horrifying. Oh, boy!
What Have You Been Watching: Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (2016)
Tim Burton returns with a book adaptationÂ Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children from author Ransom Riggs. In the film, Asa Butterfield discovers a home for gifted youngsters run by Miss Peregrine (Eva Green). He sides with them to save them fromÂ Mr. Barron, the leader of the Wights played by Samuel L. Jackson. While the film did respectable at this weekend’s box office, it failed to register with HNR’s very own Thomas Mariani who shares his suffering and dwindling admiration for director Tim Burton. Oh, man…
OUTLINE OF THIS EPISODE
- [00:00:41] Introduction of the Grue-crew
- [00:02:31] Announcements
- [00:03:23]Â Knoxville Horror Film Festival
- [00:04:20] Sick Chicks Horror Film Festival
- [00:05:05]Â NYC Horror Film Festival
- [00:08:37] Horror News of the Week
- [00:09:39] Ash vs. The Evil Dead season 2 premieres
- [00:15:59] The trailer for Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No TalesÂ debuts
- [00:20:41] What We Do In the Shadows gets a TV show titledÂ Paranormal Event Response Unit
- [00:23:30] Universal working on a Hitchcock TV Series
- [00:27:19]Â Queer Ghost Hunters makes its web debut
- [00:32:47] Festival Report: Wreak Havoc Horror Film Festival
- [00:35:17] Feature Review: I Am Not a Serial KillerÂ (2016)
- [01:05:51] Contest: Winners announced for Purge: Election Year from Universal Home Entertainment
- [01:08:26] What Have You Been Watching: Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
- [01:20:01] Support HNR w/ Patreon
- [01:23:12] Thanks to Patreon HNR is going to Spooky Empire Oct 7-9, 2016, Orlando, FL
- [01:34:01] Stump the Saint (Thump The Thaint)
NEXT WEEK ON HNR
Spooky Empire and Halloween Horror Nights