Award-winning director Christopher G. Moore and Joey FittosÂ join the Grue-Crew this week for a bloody bucket of gory reviews and previews. First up is a look at a number of genre-relatedÂ TV shows landing on the small screen. Later, the Grue-Crew forecast the Most Anticipated Horror Films of Fall 2017. Dave drops into the Horror News of the Week with the announcement that the Kevin Bacon ledÂ Tremors TV show will head to SyFy, Jane Levy & Glenn Close star in the zombie series Sea Oak, and Ron Howard inherits the mess that is the Han Solo standalone Star Wars film. Â Closing out the show Thomas and Santos participate in a battle of wits with this week’s Stump the Saint!
As always, the HNR Grue-Crew would love to hear from you, the listeners, the fans. You can always reach out via email at feedback(AT)horrornewsradio(DOT)com or find us on Twitter: Doc Rotten | Dave Dreher | The Black Saint | Thomas Mariani. Also, like us on Facebook and join the Horror News Radio Facebook Group.
- Special Guests Christopher G. Moore & Joey Fittos
- Christopher announces his next project, the short horror film GUT PUNCHED
HORROR NEWS OF THE WEEK [00:08:01]
- Blumhouse backs Tremors TV series, sending it to SYFY
- Adam Green releases a trailer for a must attend Christmas Party
- Jane Levy & Glenn Close are on a ‘Sea Oak’
- Han Solo movie turmoil
- Relive the War of the Worlds broadcast in Jody Lambert’s ‘Brave New Jersey’
SUPPORT HNR [00:35:06]
FEATURE REVIEW [00:35:48]
- Horror TV ShowsÂ (Summer 2017)
- PRIMAL SCREEN
- THE MIST
- FEAR THE WALKING DEAD (Season 3)
- BLOOD DRIVE
- PREACHER (Season 2)
- Gruesome Magazine has launched a quarterly print magazine
- Convention and Film Festival Appearances
- Raleigh Supercon (July 14-16, Raleigh, NC)
- Monster-Mania (Cherry Hill, NJ – Aug 18-20)
- DRAGON CON (Atlanta, GA, September 1 – 4)
- Genre Blast (Winchester, VA, September 8-10)
- Wreak Havoc (Greensboro, NC, Sept 22-23)
- Monsterama (Atlanta, GA, Sept 29-Oct 1)
- Nightmares Horror Film Festival (Columbus, OH, October 19-22)
- Santos will once again be involved with the New York City Horror Film Festival (NYC October, 26-29)
WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN WATCHING [01:11:38]
- Most Anticipated Horror FilmsÂ (Fall 2017)
- THE DARK TOWER (8/4)
The last Gunslinger, Roland Deschain (Idris Elba), has been locked in an eternal battle with Walter O’Dim, also known as the Man in Black (Matthew McConaughey), determined to prevent him from toppling the Dark Tower, which holds the universe together. With the fate of the worlds at stake, good and evil will collide in the ultimate battle as only Roland can defend the Tower from the Man in Black
- d. Nikolaj Arcel
- c. Idris Elba (as Roland Deschain, the Gunslinger)
- c. Matthew McConaughey (as Walter O’Dim, the Man in Black)
- ANNABELLE: CREATION (8/11)
Several years after the tragic death of their little girl, a dollmaker and his wife welcome a nun and several girls from a shuttered orphanage into their home, soon becoming the target of the dollmaker’s possessed creation, Annabelle.
- d. David F. Sandberg
- c. Stephanie Sigman,Â Miranda Otto,Â Anthony LaPaglia
- DEATH NOTE (Netflix 8/25)
Light Turner, a bright student who stumbles across a mystical notebook that has the power to kill any person whose name he writes in it. Light decides to launch a secret crusade to rid the streets of criminals. Soon, the student-turned-vigilante finds himself pursued by a famous detective known only by the alias L.
- d. Adam Wingard
- c. Margaret Qualley,Â Lakeith Stanfield,Â Willem Dafoe
- IT (9/8)
When children begin to disappear in the town of Derry, Maine, a group of young kids are faced with their biggest fears when they square off against an evil clown named Pennywise, whose history of murder and violence dates back for centuries.
- d. Andres Muschietti
- c. Bill SkarsgÃ¥rd,Â Chosen Jacobs,Â Finn Wolfhard,Â Jaeden Lieberher,Â Sophia Lillis
- FLATLINERS (9/29)
Five medical students, obsessed by the mystery of what lies beyond the confines of life, embark on a daring and dangerous experiment: by stopping their hearts for short periods of time, each triggers a near-death experience – giving them a firsthand account of the afterlife. But as their experiments become increasingly dangerous, they are each haunted by the sins of their pasts, brought on by the paranormal consequences of trespassing to the other side.
- d. Niels Arden Oplev
- c. Nina Dobrev,Â Ellen Page,Â Kiersey Clemons
- HAPPY DEATH DAY (10/13)
A college student (Jessica Rothe) relives the day of her murder with both its unexceptional details and terrifying end until she discovers her killer’s identity.
- d. Christopher B. Landon
- c. Jessica Rothe,Â Israel Broussard,Â Ruby Modine
- MOTHER! (10/13)
Centers on a couple whose relationship is tested when uninvited guests arrive at their home, disrupting their tranquil existence.
- d. Darren Aronofsky
- c. Ed Harris,Â Javier Bardem,Â Jennifer Lawrence,Â Michelle Pfeiffer
- GOD PARTICLE (10/27)
A shocking discovery forces a team of astronauts aboard a space station to fight for survival while their reality has been altered.
- d. Julius Onah
- c. Elizabeth Debicki,Â Gugu Mbatha-Raw,Â Daniel BrÃ¼hlÂ
- JIGSAW (Saw sequel 10/27)
Bodies are turning up around the city, each having met a uniquely gruesome demise. As the investigation proceeds, evidence points to one man: John Kramer. But how can this be? The man known as Jigsaw has been dead for over a decade.
- d. Michael Spierig,Â Peter Spierig
- c. Laura Vandervoort,Â Tobin Bell,Â Matt PassmoreÂ
- KILLING OF A SACRED DEER (11/3 – A24)
A surgeon forms a familial bond with a sinister teenage boy, with disastrous results.
- d. Yorgos Lanthimos
- c. Colin Farrell, Nicole Kidman, Raffey Cassidy, Alicia Silverstone, Bill Camp
- At Cannes, Lanthimos and Filippou won theÂ Best ScreenplayÂ award.
STUMP THE SAINT [01:40:56]
- Thanks to Tear Out the Heart and Victory Records for use of the song Undead Anthem for the intro and outro of the HNR podcast
- Arbor Demon and Baby Driver