Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Android |
Blumhouse returns to haunt the Black Saint’s nightmares again this week with Viral. The Grue-crew dive into this apocalyptic virus-driven horror-fest from Herny Joost andAriel Schulman. A;sp this week, the Grue-crew has two “What Have You Been Watching” segments for your listening pleasure. Ha! First up is a recap and review of the first season of AMC’s Preacher. Next up is a review of DC’s animated adaptation of Batman: The Killing Joke.
Dave Dreher launches into the Horror News of the Week discussing a variety of news John Carpenter winning a plagiarism lawsuit against Luc Besson, M. Night Shayamalan’s new trailer for Split and the passing of the legendary artist Jack Davis. Not only are the Grue-crew going to Dragon*Con this year, Doc and Gruesome Magazine writer Paul Cardullo are heading to GenreBlast Film Festival in Culpepper Virginia this August 19 – 21, 2016 and to Wreak Havoc Film Festival in late September/early October.
Co-hosts Doc Rotten, Santos (The Black Saint) Ellin Jr., Dave Dreher and Thomas Mariani, the voice of reason, are back again this week to give you the best in horror as they recap, review and obliterate all that is horror this week! Oh, and don’t forget – Stump the Saint! (Brought to you by Gruesome Magazine)
Horror News Radio
Episode 174 – Viral (2016) – Preacher Season 1 – Batman: The Killing Joke (2016)
Subscribe – iTunes – Facebook – Stitcher
Feature Review: Viral (2016)
Blumhouse strikes again with another teen-centric horror tale this time featuring Sofia Black-D-Elia and Analiegh Tipton in the lead roles. Viral is written by Paranormal Activity’s Christopher Landon and Barbara Marshal and directed by Herny Joost & Ariel Schulman. The tale follows two sisters fighting to survive when a virus outbreak threatens to end all of humanity. Think more along the lines of 28 Days Later than Dawn of the Dead.
What Have You Been Watching: Preacher Season 1 (2016)
Now that the tenth and final episode of Preacher Season 1 has aired, the Grue-crew take a look back at how successful and divergent the film is compared to the popular and influential graphic novels that inspired the AMC series. Dominic Cooper, Joseph Gilgun as Ruth Negga lead the cast as a small town Preacher with the violent and rocky history faces the implications of being handed the “voice of God” known as Genesis. Of course, his sidekick is a vampire, so he has an ace or two up his sleeve.
What Have You Been Watching: Batman: The Killing Joke (2016)
One of the more prominent Batman stories throughout his entire history and catalog is Alan Moore & Brian Bolland’s Batman: The Killing Joke. Bruce Timm and Brian Azzarello team up with director Sam Liu to bring the controversial dark tale to life with the animated adaptation. But the Grue-crew are surprised to discover a considerable amount of new material thrown in to the mix. And the results do not make them happy…Uh, oh. Look for Kevin Conroy to voice Batman, Mark Hammill to voice The Joker and Tara Strong to voice Batgirl.
OUTLINE OF THIS EPISODE
- [00:00:30] Introduction of the Grue-crew
- [00:01:34] Announcements
- [00:02:49] Genre Blast Film Festival
- [00:03:12] Dragon*Con
- [00:04:27] Wreak Havoc Horror Film Festival
- [00:04:38] Write a Review on iTunes for a Chance to Win Fandango Gift Card
- [00:05:07] Feature Review: Viral (2016)
- [00:27:38] What Have You Been Watching: Preacher Season 1 (2016)
- [00:53:51] What Have You Been Watching: Batman: The Killing Joke (2016)
- [01:19:05] CONTEST: The Walking Dead Season 6 Blu-ray from Anchor Bay Entertainment
- [01:20:00] Horror News of the Week
- [01:20:27] R.I.P. Jack Davis
- [01:27:30] Phantasm 4K Restoration and Phantasm Ravager coming this Fall
- [01:34:34] John Carpenter wins: Escape from New Plagiarism
- [01:39:00] M. Night Shamalayan presents the Split Trailer
- [01:45:00] American Horror Story Season 6 Teasers
- [01:50:00] Stump the Saint
- [01:58:32] What’s Next: Suicide Squad