Parenting is tough. Sure, parents love their kids. But sometimes dealing with them is enough to be driven crazy. Well, hopefully not Nicolas Cage levels of crazy. Cage reunites with the Taylor half of Neveldine/Taylor for Mom and Dad, as he and Selma Blair are compelled to murder their children. Hilarity ensues… or does it? Horror News Radio‘s Grue Crew is set out to determine. Along for the ride is filmmaker and special effects guru Bill Mulligan, who puts his kaiju knowledge to the test as he analyzes the Netflix anime film Godzilla: Monster Planet. Does the King of Monsters take well to the animation format? Given the lack of Godzooky, one could probably assume yes. Dave Dreher is, unfortunately, M.I.A., but Doc steps in to breakdown Horror News of the Week. There’s giant kaiju trailers, an announcement of a What We Do In The Shadows TV show and the possible return of Joe Bob Briggs to horror hosting. Then, Thomas wraps everything up with the return of the game show Phantom Factor. Hazzah!
As always, the HNR Grue-Crew would love to hear from you, the listeners, the fans. You can always reach out via email at feedback(AT)horrornewsradio(DOT)com or find us on Twitter: Doc Rotten | Dave Dreher | Thomas Mariani. Also, like us on Facebook and join the Horror News Radio Facebook Group.
HORROR NEWS OF THE WEEK [00:02:38]
- New Rampage and Pacific Rim Uprising trailers
- Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are developing horror TV series Truth Seekers
- Wishful Thinking: Joe Bob Briggs & Shudder team for the return of Monstervision
- FX has greenlit the What We Do In The Shadows TV series
- Sundance Buzz: Mandy from director Panos Cosmatos, featuring Nic Cage
FEATURE REVIEW: Mom and Dad [00:24:12]
- Mom and Dad (2018)
- director/writer: Brian Taylor
- cast: Nicolas Cage, Selma Blair, Anne Winters, Zackary Arthur, Robert T. Cunningham and Lance Henriksen
- In February, we will be working with the Nevermore Film Festival in Durham, NC to present THE MANITOU on the Big Screen in honor of Santos Ellin Jr. / the Black Saint. Anyone who can make it to the Festival the weekend of February 23 – 25, 2018. We will have more details as we get closer to the dates. Head over here to keep up with this event.
WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN WATCHING: Godzilla: Monster Planet [00:58:35]
- Godzilla: Monster Planet
- director: Hiroyuki Seshita, Kôbun Shizuno
- cast: Chris Niosi, Martin Billany, Edward Bosco
SUPPORT HNR [01:31:16]
- Patrons at Patreon who donate as low as $1 can vote for an exclusive HNR podcast and one Decades of Horror episode every month!
PHANTOM FACTOR [01:33:27]
- Our Game Show Segment In Which You the Listeners Forge Suggestions For The Grue Crew To Guess!
- This week’s topic: Most Over The Top Horror Performance
- Thanks to Tear Out the Heart and Victory Records for use of the song Undead Anthem for the intro and outro of the HNR podcast
- HNR & Gruesome Magazine T-Shirts
- Gruesome Magazine 2016 Yearbook
- Gruesome Magazine Spring 2017
- Gruesome Magazine Summer 2017